Pages

Friday, April 24, 2015

The Einstein Proxy



For the past year or two, I’ve been working as a typist/editor for a local author. Strange, I know. The opportunity presented itself and I couldn’t resist the allure of naptime hours turned into cash dollars in our bank account.

I certainly never set out to be a typist or editor, but different things have come my way that have made both of these titles realities on my resume. The author very kindly, and unbeknownst to me, singled me out on his Acknowledgments page in the book which I received in the mail this week.



It was incredibly gracious of him to do so. The political science major in me, albeit a lover of the written word and all things research related, certainly did not predict her name in print in a work of fiction. I believe the dream was more of policy writing and legislative design. All the same, I remain a lover of the written word and the rules that govern said composition. Most deem me crazy or insane, but spotting that grammatical error in print gives me a thrill like none other. To be sure, revealing that fact will guarantee multiple errors thenceforth; such is the irony of a grammar lover. Writing is an enjoyable outlet for me, hence this here blog of mine.

Back to the issue at hand, the culmination of all of this work is the publication of the author’s novel. The Einstein Proxy is the title and it is newly released. Here is the synopsis:

Albert Einstein died of natural causes in 1955. A final manuscript, long believed to be his incomplete deliberations on the most vexing issue in physics, is left in his office. It is a decoy. The brilliant scientist has smuggled the true mathematical solution overseas, and trusted it to a cadre of Jewish academics. It stays hidden for six decades.

The year shifts to 2013. A family gathers around the table for a Seder feast at the beginning of Passover in the old Jewish Quarter of Istanbul. A stranger invited to the dinner tortures and murders the host family. Alarm bells sound. The competing governments of Russia, Iran, Israel, and the United States dispatch operatives to the ancient walled city. 

Control of the manuscript is paramount, it holds the key to understanding the universe.
Melissa Hastings, an American physicist, is teamed with CIA Case Officer Terry Solak to lead the U.S. efforts to recover the document. At each turn they are confronted by ambiguities and hostile intent. The search for Einstein’s lost manuscript is as much a layered exercise in espionage as it is a test of personal survival. Worst among the antagonists is a mystical Turk named Yilmaz. He belongs to a secretive sect descended from Sephardi Jews known as Dönmeh. 

From Istanbul to Casablanca, to Paris, to New York, we follow Melissa and Terry as they strive to secure the document. The final shocking revelations force Melissa to confront moral choices in a world of deceit. 

It is a work of fiction; contemporary espionage with some history and suspense.
And I typed it all, so when you find a mistake do feel free to tell me. Please. Pretty please.

The Einstein Proxy by Steve Dimodica

 

The book is now available via Amazon and Barnes & Noble

Crazy.


No comments: