Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Scout's Dedication


As I recount the happenings of our past few weeks on here, bear with me as I backtrack. It’s easiest for my sleep-starved mind to convalesce in said fashion.

On the occasion of dedicating our daughter, a post is worthy in and of itself. Memorial Day weekend past, we dedicated Scout at our church service. Our Pastor led the charge and we accepted knowing just how profound and compulsory it may be; raising your children in the fear and knowledge of the Lord is challenging and humbling, but it is a decision as followers of Christ we would not have any other way.

As with Cutter, Steve read the scripture we had selected for her.

From Philippians 1:9-11 (NIV) And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.


She performed dutifully and Cutter looked ever the part of big brother. My children played the parts of loving brother and willing daughter quite effortlessly, and made my motherly chidings just off stage appear to be speculative at best. To God be the glory!

We held a luncheon at our home afterwards for our friends and family to celebrate with us. The guest of honor had a wardrobe change, as the humidity and mercury were quickly creating an atmosphere of clammy, sweaty baby mess. She was however, indignant to the throngs awaiting her appearance, and proffered to stay in the cool of the house under the tutelage of Grandma instead. The poor girl was hot.


After the revelry ceased, she was able to gain her confidence and boasted a two-hour nap in the late afternoon. Sleep must have secured her persona once more when upon waking she ecstatically flaunted her winning smile she has become quite well known for.

In part due to the fact that I was unable to properly indulge my party planning prowess for Cutter’s birthday as little sister’s arrival was impending; I happily ensconced myself in planning the details for this luncheon.

I made pinwheels for the younger kids as favors, and a smaller version to decorate and adorn the cupcakes. I made a paper banner to hang on the drink cart using ribbon still remaining from our wedding five years ago. I used streamers to cover mason jars to display the pinwheels, and hung balloons here and there to add some pop. Otherwise I planned the food and outdoor set-up for the best flow. We knew we were going to have an army of children under the age of five, and so we utilized the backyard as a make-shift playground.


Scout is surrounded by the love of God expressed in all of her family and friends; it was a thrill to have so many of them supporting and celebrating with us that day.

Scout Everly, your Daddy and I will raise you to know Christ’s love, to know His Word, and to know Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior. We will model Christ’s love for you in our marriage and in our family in the way we live, love, and serve -- you can count on it.

No comments: