Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Cookie Time

Last week my mother and I hosted our family’s annual Christmas Cookie Baking Day. My Grandmother and Aunt joined us in the kitchen and we set to creating both tried and true as well as a few original treats for all to enjoy. Though our baking day remains a relatively newer tradition within our family, it is one that I look forward to with great anticipation each year. Baking has proven to be a highly gratifying hobby of mine, and I relished in pouring over my cookbooks in order to select a few new recipes to add to this year’s repertoire.
For our family’s sake, in keeping with tradition, we prepared chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, spritz (or butter) cookies, and sugar cookies. I chose jam thumbprints, truffles, and shortbread (all from my edition of Martha Stewart Cookies). My Aunt’s request and subsequent granted wish were peanut butter cookies with Hershey kisses. We spent nearly six hours in the kitchen and baked at least thirty dozen cookies if not more. The house was perfumed with sugar, flour, and chocolate for days to follow – and I tell you it was divine.
Regrettably, my Aunt and Grandmother did not take their true third of the bounty and thus left my mother and I with dozens of cookies that continually call out to me to be eaten. I am not one to leave a call unanswered and so I dutifully devour my daily portion. Somehow the fact that I have a doctor’s appointment next week has (momentarily) slipped my mind, but it’s only Christmas once a year! The bugger is I keep getting pregnant during this overtly gluttonous time of year.
*Note to self*







Only 1/2 way through the baking!

No comments: