Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Washington, D.C. trip

We were able to travel this past weekend to visit my best friend from college. She and her husband live in Washington, D.C. and are expecting their first child in the next few weeks. To say that I am excited for them would be the understatement of the year and I cannot wait until their little girl is born. They were gracious hosts and even relinquished their bedroom in their one bedroom apartment. I know how uncomfortable I was when pregnant with Cutter, and so I know what a huge sacrifice it was to give up her bed so that we could sleep near Cutter!

I always expect and receive delicious food when I am with Emily and this weekend did not disappoint. Breakfast was refreshing, lunch was relaxing, and dinner and dessert were oh so delicious and delectable. We spent Saturday morning checking out the local scene over at Eastern Market and it made me wish we had a Market closer to us. All of the different varieties of food were making my head spin with possible recipes, and the flowers and other offerings were very enticing. The only negative of the morning was the intense heat! We severely underestimated the humidity and headed back to the apartment to seek some relief before we ventured out again.

We enjoyed lunch at Capitol City Brewing Company and it was probably our first time eating out with Cutter at the table where I was actually able to enjoy the meal and the conversation, that in itself would have been a great weekend for me! But even better, afterwards, we headed over to the Capitol building to give Cutter his first look at where all the magic happens. I am a political junkie – politics, government, policy, history – they all interest me a bit more than the average person. I was a political science major in college and have been missing the discussions and yes, the papers that accompanied such a research-driven major. Cutter loved the building and his tour guides. Emily’s husband works for a Senator and he gave us his personal behind-the-scenes accounts instead of the group tour. Afterwards, we headed down to the Mall to check out the National Book Festival. There seemed to be every sort of genre available but by the time we got down there, the sun was beating directly into our faces and we were hot and tired, Cutter included.

We capped off the evening by putting Cutter down to sleep and then eating and talking into the wee hours of the night. I so missed seeing Emily and as much as I loved the weekend, it just made me more wistful for more of these weekends together. I wish that we could do that more often, especially once her little one is here. Here is hoping that happens!

Eastern Market
Cutter taking in the sights of D.C.

Family picture in front of our Capitol Building

Mr. Junior Capitol Police Officer

Our hosts for the weekend

The breath-taking rotunda

No comments: