Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Uppa Baby: Review

As promised, a review of our stroller – Uppa Baby Vista 2010.


I mentioned before of my immediate desire for the perfect stroller when I found out I was pregnant. I am talking mere days before the thoughts of, “What will I transport this child of mine in?” began to invade my every waking moment. I began to scour the internet, read blog reviews, talk to friends, and read baby books to determine what features I felt were non-negotiable and what were unnecessary or trivial.


I quickly discovered my distaste of the traditional travel system stroller. Please understand I am not passing judgment on those who decide to use this system, I simply felt stylistically it was not the decision for me. I wanted something that was trendy I will admit, but it also had to be lightweight and easy to lift and fold, preferably a multi-stage stroller, and feature a bassinet attachment.


Based on my research I narrowed my selections to the Micralite Toro Newborn System, Uppa Baby Vista, and I’Coo Targo. I tested each one in the store and read numerous reviews online. Both the I’Coo and Micralite were wonderful strollers, but they just didn’t match the level of excitement that the Uppa Baby brought me. It really is sad, but true. I get my kicks from stroller shopping.


I have not been disappointed in our decision to purchase the Uppa Baby in the slightest. While I will admit the price tag is a bit hefty, I have priced what a lot of my friends end up spending on their strollers (typically a Snap ‘N Go, Maclaren umbrella, and BOB jogging Stroller) and it comes out about even in the end. We may purchase an additional umbrella stroller as time goes on, but for now I have no problems using our Uppa Baby for all of our current stroller needs. The Uppa Baby also features a Rumble seat that can be added to the back of the frame making it into a double stroller. It also has the option to add a running board in front which means you could technically have three kids at once on the stroller. These two features weighed heavily in my decision to go with the Uppa Baby.

The Uppa Baby Vista has what I will call 3 stages of stroller use: the bassinet, the car seat, and the stroller seat.

First – The Bassinet


I would have used this more readily if we lived in a residential neighborhood and getting the stroller out of the driveway wasn’t such a large concern with a newborn (a stone/gravel driveway doesn’t make for the best head support situation with a newborn). It worked so well when Cutter was a newborn and I could swaddle him and take a walk to calm him down – definitely glad we went with this option. I am looking forward to using it with our next child.

Second – The Car Seat


We purchased the car seat adapter (for our Graco car seat) so that we could snap our car seat right onto the stroller frame. Uppa Baby also offers an adapter for the Chicco and the Maxi Cosi car seats. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. The adapter stayed attached when I folded the frame so literally, I just had to unfold the frame, click in the seat, and go. I can’t express enough what a benefit that was, especially when Cutter had fallen asleep in the car seat. I simply had to move the seat from stroller to car or otherwise and never had to disturb him. Anything to keep him asleep!


Third – The Stroller seat


Cutter just started to use the actual seat about one month ago. I am able to adjust his seat in 4 positions ranging from almost horizontal to directly upright. I am very impressed with the ease of use this stroller boasts. Everything is very simple and straight-forward – green attachment indicators confirm that everything is secure and locked in place. The basket underneath is large enough to hold his baby bag, my purse, a drink, and lots of shopping bags. The wheel frame across the back is high enough that even Steve (at 6’2”) doesn’t accidentally kick it while he is walking. The aluminum alloy frame is so lightweight; I can maneuver the stroller with one hand very easily. It easily unfolds and folds and takes mere seconds. The fold down foot rest has a number of positions and is helpful while he is still small to hold his toys in the stroller so they don’t accidentally fall out. The harness is five-point, huge safety points there! The all-terrain wheels are just that and durable enough to traverse the grass, stone, sand – I’ve tried them all and have had no problems, and bonus – they never need to be filled with air. The accessories included are great; a rain shield and bug shield for both bassinet and seat, however I do wish that the cup holder was included. The only negative I have run into thus far – when the seat is on and the stroller is folded it does not fit into our trunk. I partly fault our trunk. It has a VERY small opening though the trunk itself is rather large and I have struggled with that for the five years I have owned the car. Regardless, the seat is easily detachable and so I store it separately in the trunk - a small price to pay for an otherwise perfect stroller.

Hands down I would suggest this to any of my Mommy-to-be’s out there. It’s a fantastic company with traditionally solid customer service (which I have not utilized as of yet).
*I am not being compensated by Uppa Baby in any way for this review – I merely wanted to share my stroller journey with you, for those that are interested in that sort of thing.

**Oh, and the color we chose is quite obviously, red, or in Uppa Baby world - Denny.

2 comments:

The Drakes said...

I must admit I wish you'd been a year ahead of me instead of the other way around so that I could have benefited from this earlier! I have only recently seen my first Uppa baby and wish we had it. Having an attachment that lays flat is something we definitely missed and though we went with the cheapest of frame strollers and then a lightweight graco stroller once she was bigger, there are still limitations. This looks awesome!

Darcy Veneziale said...

I accompanied Lauren on an in person stroller review/test session. She definitely did her homework and blew me away with her knowledge.

Laur I will definitely look to you for advice when the day comes that I am expecting! :)