Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Man After My Own Heart

Jeff Deck is one of the co-authors of The Great Typo Hunt: Two Friends Changing the World, One Correction at a Time.

From the website:
The Great Typo Hunt: Two Friends Changing the World, One Correction at a Time, by Jeff Deck and Benjamin D. Herson, tells the story of an epic journey across the U.S. to fix typos in public signage.

Be still my heart. I have a glaring penchant for finding grammatical errors and spelling mistakes both in public signage and reading in general. For whatever reason my brain is hard-wired to find the problem - and obsess over it. In fact I have been known to take pen to paper and make the change myself so that all will be 'right' with the world. I'm still fuming over the misspelling of the word clever in a Babywise book that I read while I was pregnant. Instead of getting clever about introducing my baby to a sippy cup I was told to get cleaver. I suppose I should have gotten out my hammer and that would have helped my baby to be a little more receptive to a new form of liquid intake. Not quite what I was looking for there, Dr. Ezzo.

I am thrilled to know that there are others out there that are as fanatical about grammar and spelling as I. While I do admit this is an admission that certainly makes me sound a bit maniacal (and opens the gates for both public correction and admonition) I can't help but be honest with you. Nothing feels as good as finding a typo and knowing that it is wrong, and I am right. How's that for elitist ego-building? This book will certainly be added to my reading list if for no other reason than to pore over the pages and search for the inevitable grammatical mistake. Oh happy day.


image from here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Me Too! I actually emailed the president of a company because they used "you" over 5 times in their website when it should have read "your" - he was grateful and I felt much better!

Darcy Veneziale said...

have you ever considered taking on the role of editor? :)

Darcy Veneziale said...

or you could follow me around and proof everything I write! I know for a fact that I misspell several words a day and make grammatical errors just as often! thank goodness for spell check!