Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Closet Closure

Doors – behold – I have doors!

What you need to understand behind this statement is that in the entire 17 years or so that I lived in this bedroom growing up, I never had a door on my closet. I shared it with my sister for 10 years until she moved into my Aunt’s old bedroom giving me my very own room. My family is a big do-it-yourself kind of family which is where I get a lot of my “can-do” attitude from – this is a good thing, not a bad thing. My grandfather built our house in the 1950’s and practically everything in it has been renovated, ripped out, replaced and or added by either him or my parents. However, quite often projects get trucking along and gain steam and are near completion, and then when they are livable or money runs out – whichever comes first – the project sits on hold. Hence the absence of closet doors in my childhood. I do at times feel like I missed out on a part of life – the curiosity of not knowing what lies behind a closed door? I blame my OCD-ness on the fact that I could always see what was in my closet and so it therefore must be organized and color-coordinated. If I had to look at it I wanted to enjoy what I was seeing. You agree, right? My sister not so much – she was very much of the non-OCD nature and was pleased as punch to just throw it all in and hope she never needed what was on the bottom of the pile. Madness, I tell you.

I digress.

Last year when we moved in we had a number of projects that needed to be finished before we could move in to the space and deem it livable. Amazingly, closet doors were not on the list of making the rooms habitable. It wasn’t for trying, I tell you. In true family fashion, those doors did not materialize until a few weeks ago – nearly a year from when the project first began. The good part is that I anticipated this sort of thing, and was happy it was only a year that I had to again indulge my OCD behavior and subject my husband to the color coordination of the closet.

Steve not only hung closet doors on both of our closets, but also fabricated doors to hang under our windows to hide his clothing situation under there. Hidden mess = happy Lauren! I posted before that he also replaced our bedroom door and Cutter’s bedroom door. Have I mentioned how much I love him? And his rugged hands, his piercing green eyes, that smile - oh that smile - his manly physique…sorry, I digress again...

Here they are!

1 comment:

Aimee and Preston said...

Seeing that I remember those doorless closets from middle school, I celebrate with you. :)