Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My Birthday

Happy Birthday to me Cutter helping me to blow out the candles

My Cutterbug

This morning at 10:10 am, I turned twenty-eight years old.

I actually feel twenty-eight years old.

I treated myself to a Starbucks Venti Soy Vanilla Latte and Cutter and I exercised our civic duty and voted (revolution ignited). I spent the rest of the day fielding birthday wishes and going on birthday scavenger hunts. Many thanks, Endin.

My parents prepared me a birthday dinner followed by a chocolate frosted cake that was oh so sweet and oh so good. Family makes me oh so happy.

Perhaps the best gift of all came in the form of a poem written by my husband. He was gracious in allowing me to re-print it here for all to read. Steve used to write me poems and letters all of the time throughout our courtship (all nine years of it) and I have many, many beautiful expositions of his love for me. Some are true snapshots of his personality and are the most hysterical, lyrical sonnets I’ve ever read. He has a miraculous sense of humor that God knows I needed to counter-balance my intense and serious persona. This one, for whatever reason, made my heart all aflutter and my eyes well with tears. This is why I love him and why I still have to pinch myself to believe that he is now my husband, and not my boyfriend from years past whom I fought tooth and nail for, over and over. He will never cease to make me smile.

"Birthday poem"
written by Stephen Longenecker
Today is your birthday, the day you entered this earth.
Small and sweet, with so much worth.
Your hands tiny, your legs with feet.
Bright eyes and your heart a-beat.
Born a baby girl, swaddled in pink.
So soft to hold, and with no stink.
Your parents loved you, from very first glance.
Little did you know, my Mom almost named me Lance.
Now all grown, short and petite.
All woman, and ever so sweet.
With each passing year, your beauty grows.
I’m glad to have you as my wife – God only knows.
So now on your birthday, I say to you,
Lauren, my dear, I’m stuck to you like glue.
I will never let you go, I will not let you down.
I will never tire, I will never frown.
I loved you from day one, and I love you still today.
Even when it’s cloudy and even when it’s gray.
But especially, today – on your birthday.

3 comments:

Jase and Melissa said...

What a lovely tribute poem! I am so glad you had such a lovely day!

Darcy Veneziale said...

Awesome job Steve! It sounds like you had a great day full of love!

Jeff said...

Love the poem Steve...He's still got it!!! Glad you had such a great birthday! Can't wait to you see guys and the "Cutterbug" soon!