Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sigh of Relief

We had to take Cutter to the city last week for a follow-up appointment with a surgeon at Children’s Hospital. A few weeks after he was born, one of his pediatricians detected what she felt was a slight hernia in his lower abdominal wall, and urged us to have it looked at. We were parents all of three weeks to this little being and it broke my heart that he may need surgery.

Thankfully, the surgeon who examined him determined that he merely had fluid that had seeped into the area in question before closing off. He was confident the excess fluid would be absorbed into the body and we were to keep an eye on it in the meantime. Everything looked great to us through our jaded lens, as parents sans any medical degrees. We were fairly confident that all was well but wanted to hear that from the surgeon’s mouth. Thankfully our prayers were answered and all of the excess fluid has been absorbed and no surgery will be needed.

I know it’s small and silly, but I felt such relief at those words from the surgeon. I am amazed at how the love I have for my son has grown so in the short time we have been together. I find myself yearning for the morning when I get to walk into his room and find him waiting for me, smiling up at me – oh it melts my heart to the very core. He brings me such delight and every day there is something new for me to fuss over and marvel over. Every day is a gift, and I remind myself of that even more on those very hard days when neither he nor I seem to be on the same page.

It was so important to me that Steve was at Cutter’s appointment last week, and even more significant to me was that he wanted to be there. He is such a fantastic father to his son, and is there for him in ways that I just can’t be. I will be the first one to admit that it took me a while to comprehend and digest that I was not expected to, nor asked to be the sole provider for my son, but rather to share the responsibilities and caring of him with my husband. God didn't stick me in this parenting thing alone, he provided a perfectly willing and capable husband to be a father to his son. There are many things that Steve is better at than I am with Cutter and I’m not so tenacious that I don’t recognize this, in fact, I willingly embrace it and thank God for pairing us and complementing us so well. I could not be any prouder of the family that we have created together.

Elation doesn’t even begin to describe it.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Heartwarming post. So glad Cutter is healthy and that you got such great news!