Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Musings

My Responsibility; My Baby


I’ve been feeling incredibly convicted about being a parent as of late. All of a sudden it has hit me that I am responsible for this little baby to grow into a man; and not just any man, but one after God’s own heart. I am to raise him in the Proverbs 22:6 sense and lately this has been heavy on my heart.

There are so many evils in the world, so many roads of false security that he could travel down, so many ways that he could be lead astray or pulled from God. If anything I am all the more inspired to daily evaluate my own spiritual conversations, and make sure that Steve and I are living examples of what a Christ-centered parenting relationship looks like. It is never too early to pray in front of our son, to recite Scripture to him, to speak words of love and not hate towards one another, to listen to one another, to encourage one another, to forgive one another.

I worry about his spirit, his character development - what I will unknowingly do or say that he will pick up on. I can read my bible and find reassurance in God’s word, I can pray about his life and the people he will befriend over the years.

I am not naïve in my anxiety.

I have a boy who will decide one day that he should test the theory of Sir Isaac Newton and discover if gravity really will pull him from the top of a tree down to the ground. I am prepared for the onslaught of emergency room visits. I can’t prevent the physical exploration, but I aim to prepare the character of my son even now, Lord willing.

3 comments:

Jase and Melissa said...

My sentiments eaxactly! It's either pray or have a heart attack every day considering endless possibilities...

The Trendy Family said...

Thanks for voicing the convictions! I was feeling a lot like that lately too!

The Drakes said...

Loved this post! I think about this often too, especially now that Ava picks up on everything I do and say. I feel like I'm pretty good with how I interact with her but have definitely fallen short in my conversations with Blair--and Ava is sitting right there to witness it all! It's an amazing responsibility and also an awesome motivation and impetus to grow in Christlikeness myself which is so great. Thanks for the encouragement!