Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hunny Pup

Hunny Pup, 1993-2010

"If you have a dog, you will most likely outlive it; to get a dog is to open yourself to profound joy and, prospectively, to equally profound sadness." - Marjorie Garber


This fluff-ball came into my life when I was in eighth grade. My mother had a love for dachshunds and had always wanted one. A friend told her about a long-haired canine that needed a home, and my mother swiftly stepped in and brought home a short, long, red-headed dog that we affectionately named Hunny Pup.


So much has happened over the years with Hunny. It’s amazing to think of all of the milestones in my life that she has been around for – eighth grade dinner dance, my first date with Steve, taking a ride in my first car, high school graduation, college graduation, my wedding, and most recently the birth of my son. What a whirlwind. Hunny Pup was nothing if not loyal. I am not exaggerating in the least when I say that she never left my mother’s side. Everywhere my mother went in the house, Hunny was close behind. In fact we used to joke that if we could see Hunny on one side of a door, my mother must be on the other side.


True to dachshund form Hunny was ornery, feisty, and loud. She was a barker from the get go, and quite enjoyed bossing our other dogs around – she was the leader of the pack (and by far the smallest, the next largest in size had a good forty pounds on her).


During her later years she started to get a little slower and it was harder for her to see and hear. When we moved in with my parents last year, the presence of our two dogs gave her a boost in spirit – she now had two other dogs to corral and boss around. I’m thankful they were able to help her reclaim her spunk even if it was only momentary.


The past few weeks were getting harder on her, and my mother made the right (but difficult) decision to take her to the vet. Her relief came quickly and just like that – she was at peace again, running the fields with her former comrades, and I’m sure giving them what for. My mother brought her home so that we could bury her in the backyard with our other family pets that have since departed this world. We walked her to the backyard together, shared some of our memories, and cried with each shovel of dirt that fell across her body.


Death, even in animals, is a truly humbling experience and sheds a ray of light on the days we have here on earth. Each day is a gift from God meant for us to use to His greater glory. It is in these times of grief that even though we may bear a sad heart, we can reach out to God who is listening to our prayers and who offers a companionship that is both rewarding and never-changing. God entrusts us with these precious pets to share in His awesome power of creation, so that we can recognize His ultimate goodness and omnipotence.


It’s going to take some adjusting around here to get used to her absence. I’m sure I’ll look out the door to let her inside, pick up my feet a few times, and reach for a treat - only to realize that she isn’t sitting with the other dogs. She truly was a faithful canine to the bitter end, and I will miss her terribly.

Hunny and Merlin back in the day

Hunny with her happy face

Hunny enjoying the garden

Hunny with Lady and Buddy, Christmas 2004

Giving a bath to her after a romp in the snow

A bit gray, but spirited nonetheless

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nicely put - those images and memories brought tears of joy for all the happiness she brought to our lives.